Supersport United
00 W Brown
03 B Carnell
04 B Khumalo
26 T September
29 M Gould
07 L Lakay (Langerman 79′)
08 J Maluleke
13 S Poggenpoel (Ntshumayelo 68′)
21 B Carelse
09 J Perreira (Salmon 68′)
28 A Laffor



Competition: PSL
Date: 18 December 2010
Venue: Lucas Moripe Stadium
Kick-off: 15:30pm

Another poor showing by SuperSport United in front of goal saw them share the spoils with Golden Arrows after a 0-0 draw in a League match at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The opening stanza saw the visiting side really struggling to get hold of the ball and thus they were unable to play the style of football that could win them games.

SuperSport, on the other hand, did well to starve Arrows of possession. They were able to do this by dominating the midfield battle and thus controlled the flow of the game.

Still, despite United’s superior play in the opening 45 minutes they struggled to create decent goal scoring chances till late in the half. Early on the home side were only really able to threaten from set-pieces.

This was highlighted in the fifth minute when Bradley Carnell curled a 20-yard right-sided free-kick around the defensive wall, but agonisingly wide of the target as his shot skimmed the wrong side of the up-right.

Although Arrows possession of the ball was few and far between, when they did attack they looked dangerous and in the 19th minute they should have taken the lead.

Bryce Moon was the man with the chance and should have scored when he found himself in a one-on-one situation with the United goalkeeper, but he skied his shot high over the crossbar from 12-yards out when he should have at least hit the target.

SuperSport’s first real chance in open play came in the 30th minute when a great attack was concluded with a Brent Carlese shot from the edge of the 18-yard area. Da roach, however, was alert to the danger and produced a great save diving full stretch to his left to palm the shot away from danger.

Jose Parreira should really have scored for United three minutes before the break when Anthony Laffor whipped in an inch perfect cross that found him unmarked and eight yards out from goal. Parreira, however, wasted the golden chance hitting his shot high over the crossbar.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first; with United on the attack, but unable to produce that right pass in the final third that would lead to goal.

Instead Arrows looked the more likely to score and should have done so in the 61st minute. Wayne Brown produced a great save to deny Siyabonga Nkosi from 12-yards out, but parried his shot straight into the path of Njabulo Manqana who fired over the crossbar from eight yards out.

The second half also saw SuperSsport United reintroduce the injured glen Salmon into the proceedings and what a difference he made. He looked threatening from the minute he stepped on the field, but much like the rest of his teammates he couldn’t find the back of the net despite numerous shots on goal.

In the end, no side could find the winning goal and both had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Golden Arrows
01 H Da Rocha
04 M Mvalo
21 S Zwane
21 S Sangweni
28 M Bilankulu
05 T Khuboni
07 B Moon (Mlotshwa 74′)
10 N Manqana (Vilakazi 82′)
10 S Nkosi
18 I Duiker
31 T Gabuza (Mbesuma65′)

Start typing and press Enter to search