Golden Arrows
24.Molefe (Kok 30′)
16.Brandon Parusnath
29.Khubone (Mkhize 57′)
25.Sibiya (Hotto 26′)



Competition: Nedbank Cup
Date: Wednesday ,10 December 2014
Venue: Chatsworth Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00pm

Lamontville Golden Arrows have qualified for the 2015 Nedbank Cup with a 2-1 win over Milano FC this afternoon.

Both sides came onto the park, with the clear intention of getting the win and going through to the Cup competition next year, this was evident when, within the first 10 minutes of play each team had made strategic use of their posesssion and attacked the opposition goal with intention.

In the forth minute of play Mdunge flicked the ball off the back of his boot from a free kick, however nothing came of it, but it was clear, pressure was going to feature in the game. Milano retaliated by dominating as much posession as possible and taking it up to the Lamontville Golden Arrows goal as often as possible. After 15 minutes, the game plan for both teams was clear, Abafana Bes’thende were going to play the ball low to the field, retain posession and get the ball up-field where they were going to try and blast it past the keeper. Milano were adamant on playing a game that saw then play a lofty ball over the Golden Arrows defence, and then keep it low while attacking in the last 20m of field.

The game plan for the visitors payed off in the 15th minute, when they had a steady attack on goal, having played the ball behind defense and finding Gumede out of his goal mouth, they chipped a ball over his head, had it not been for swift defensive action from the Golden Arrows players, who cleared it out of the goal, it would have been goal time for the visitors. The play however resulted in a corner, and off the set piece Milano managed to push one past the players and Gumede and took the lead with a goal.

Golden Arrows stuck to their game plan, and kept the ball low, and in the 26thminute, upped the tempo when they substituted Sibiya with Hotto in their first strategic move. Four minutes later Kok replaced Molefe and the charge from the bench was to push up, and put pressure on the goals. The strategy paid off in the 36th minute, when Golden Arrows were awarded a free kick 5m outside the big box. A move that involved Hotto and Parusnath saw the ball being blasted low through the wall, and past Milano’s keeper to score the equaliser.

This was a great psychological achievement for the team, going into the second half, having pulled one back and levelling the playing fields, allowing them to return to the field composed and with intent. Within the first 10 minutes of the second half Kok had an opportunity to take the home team into the lead off a free kick. He placed the ball well, and it was only the finger tips of Milano’s keeper that denied him the goal, by just managing to tip the ball over the posts.

Milano were never out of the game though, and they continued attacking Gumede with their gameplan. High ball, break defense, attack the goals. They repeated this over and over, looking for the lapse in concentration that would allow them to score again.

In the 57th minute, the coaching staff made another sub, with Mkhize replacing Khubone on the field. The move seemed to increase the pressure for the visitors down the middle, with Mkhize making good use of the ball when in his possession. The pressure that Lamontville Golden Arrows were putting on Milano was starting to pay off and cracks began opening. The visitors were conceding more and more free kicks, and it was in the 65th minute, that Hotto took a free kick, placed it in the box, where Sibeko gets it in the net, but the goal was disallowed by the ref for a foul by one of the Golden Arrows players.

Seven minutes later though, with Golden Arrows keeping on the pressure, they forced the frustration they were causing to culminate in a Milano player deliberately playing the ball with his arm, resulting in a penalty for Abafana Bes’thende. The sub, Mkhize took the honours and smashed the ball past Milano’s keeper to take the score to 2-1.

This seemed to be the breaking point for Milano, who although when they had ball made use of it, also started showing their frustration and with 5 minutes left to play were down to 9 men after both Hendricks and Isaacs were given red cards.

With minutes left all that needed to be done, was for Lamontville Golden Arrows to keep possession and play to the final whistle.

A much needed win for the side, a confidence boost ahead of their game on Saturday in Chatsworth against Highlands Park.

37.vd Linde

Start typing and press Enter to search