Moroka Swallows
Da Silva
Mphahlele (Bhengu 81’)
Morelato (Haschick 63’)
Haskins (Botha 83’)



Competition: Absa Premiership
Date: Sunday, 16 November 2008
Venue: Olympia Park
Kick-off: 18h30

Golden Arrows went to the top of the Absa Premiership after defeating Moroka Swallows by the slenderest of margins at Olympia Park in Rustenburg. Francis Kombe sealed the win for his side as the Birds failed to hit the target in front of goal.

In a game that saw numerous long range attempts on goal, the first came from the Arrows captain, Kagisho Dikgacoi, in the eight minute. He let fly with a powerful shot from 30 yards out that narrowly missed to the left with the keeper beaten.

Morgan Shivambu had Swallows first shot on goal only two minutes later when he fired from 20 yards, but his shot went woefully wide.

The team from Soweto began to take charge of the midfield and started to dominate possession. However, they could not make their territory and control pay as they failed to create any decent goal-scoring chances.

In fact both sides struggled to create much in front of goal in the first 45. The defence of the two sides seemed impenetrable and consequently both teams had to resort to shooting from distance.

Cecil Oerson and Mark Haskins looked most dangerous for the Birds shooting when ever they had sight of goal. Oerson’s best shot came in the 14th minute when he forced Helton Da Rocha into action pushing his attempt away from goal. Haskins warmed the hands of the keeper in the 25th minute with a powerful drive but the Da Rocha managed to hold onto to it.

Arrows were virtually non-existent in the first half. Their only decent chance came from none other than, “man of the moment”, Richard Henyekane in the 34th minute. After some great individual skill Henyekane turned on the ball to fire a shot from the edge of the box, but his effort was comfortably saved by Tyron Damons.

Haskins came closest to opening the scoring before the break when he drilled the ball from 25 yards out that was tipped round the post after a brilliant save from Da Rocha.

When the players came out for the second half the fans in Rustenburg only had to wait two minutes before Oerson let fly from distance once again, and once again he missed to the left after a poor attempt.

Despite all their possession and all their control the Birds continued to shoot from range as they could not create any goal-scoring opportunities in front of goal.

Eventually, in the 72nd minute Arrows maid Swallows pay for their lack of creativity up-front when they took the lead through Francis Kombe. A superb pass from Philani Shange found Kombe six yards out from goal and he made no mistake as buried the ball in the back of the net giving Damons no chance, 1-0.

Abafana Bes’thende’s defence held strong and they maintained their lead until the referee ended the Birds misery who will certainly be heading to the training grounds for shooting practise. Manqoba Mngqithi’s team now move to the top of the Absa Premiership leaping above BidVest Wits and Supersport United.

Golden Arrows
Da Rocha
Shange (Musonda 80’)
Kombe (Rammutsoe73’)
Senamela (Khuboni 78’)

Start typing and press Enter to search