Golden Arrows
Ngubane (Vilakazi 90’)
Masinga, Sangweni
J. Henyekane
N. Zothwane
Shange (Mshengu 86’)
Kola (Kombe 60’)
R. Henyekane



Competition: Absa Premiership
Date: Wednesday, 04 March 2009
Venue: Chatsworth Stadium
Kick-off: 18h30

Kaizer Chiefs completed a league ‘double’ over Golden Arrows when they beat the KwaZulu-Natal team 1-0 in their Absa Premiership match at the Chatsworth Stadium on Wednesday evening. Click here ( to subscribe to Onside, the official newsletter of the Premier Soccer League

Amakhosi had beaten Abafana Bes’thende by the same score line in their first league meeting last year, and a goal early in the second half from Siphiwe Tshabalala secured the three points for Muhsin Ertugral’s men.

The hosts had two changes from the team that beat Ajax Cape Town on the weekend, with Brenden Wardle replacing the injured Helton Da Rocha, while Nhlanhla Ngubane filled in for the suspended Joseph Musonda.

Chiefs themselves had four alterations to the side that was comprehensively beaten by SuperSport United on Saturday evening. Jimmy Tau and Thabang Rooi, having served their suspensions, returned to the line-up, as did the fit-again Ibe Zito Ogbonna and Reneilwe Letsholonyane. Wayne Matle, Mokete Tsotetsi, Kaizer Motaung Jr (suspended) and Jose Torrealba missed out.

Arrows certainly started the brighter of the two teams, with Philani Shange and Richard Henyekane both shooting just off target in the first ten minutes of the match.

However, the reshuffled Amakhosi defence was proving difficult for the normally fluent Arrows attack to break down, and they were left to try their luck from long range for the most part.

In the 32nd minute the hosts did manage to find a way through the Chiefs backline, but Joseph Henyekane was denied a goal by an excellent save from Itumeleng Khune. Within a minute Chiefs had broken up the field and Abafana Bes’thende needed Wardle to make a fine stop to deny Abia Nale.

The first half ended goalless, but eight minutes after the break Siphiwe Tshabalala worked some space and fired a low shot past Wardle in the Arrows goal to put the Soweto side 1-0 up.

The KwaZulu-Natal team missed out on a chance to draw level just two minutes after going behind, as Rodgers Kola headed over the crossbar from Richard Henyekane’s cross.

On 66 minutes Ogbonna unleashed a powerful shot from 20 yards out that had Wardle worried for a second, but the ball ended up drifting wide of the goal posts. Five minutes later the teams exchanged chances in quick succession, as substitute Torrealba and Nhlanhla Zothwane shot off target for Chiefs and Arrows respectively.

Henyekane had the chance to draw Arrows level late in the game but he could only direct his point black effort straight at a grateful Khune, and Chiefs saw out the rest of the game in relative comfort.

Kaizer Chiefs
Zwane (Torrealba 63’)
Tshabalala (Mooki 84’)
Ogbonna (Dladla 74’)

Start typing and press Enter to search