Golden Arrows
Da Rocha
Shange (Manqana 80’)
N. Zothwane (P. Zothwane 62’)
J. Henyekane
Mashego (Kola 68’)
R. Henyekane



Competition: Absa Premiership
Date: Saturday, 03 May 2009
Venue: Chatsworth Stadium
Kick-off: 15h00

Golden Arrows took advantage of an uninspired Santos side to record a comfortable 3-1 win at the Chatsworth Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

In the process the KZN side were able to strengthen their hopes of a top eight finish – they now occupy the final berth in the top half of the table, one points above ninth placed Sundowns.

Arrows didn’t play particularly well in the first half – prior to the first goal, neither side were able to create much in the way of constructive play, with the game refined to a midfield battle.

The Cape side were in fact poor at times, making some careless mistakes.

With a new-look starting line-up, which excluded any natural wingers, the People’s Team looked toothless in attack – their only two real chances of the first half came via free kicks as Tyren Arendse and Koena Mathopa sent their efforts a metre or two wide of goal in the 18th and 32nd minute respectively.

Having failed to find much in attack themselves, Abafana Bes’thende were gifted the opening goal in the 31st minute.

After a neat move around the box by Arrows, Wayne Arendse failed to get much distance on his clearance. The ball fell to Richard Henyekane on the edge of the box – a fairly harmless looking volley followed, but Santos keeper Lee Langeveldt made a school-boy error, allowing the ball to spin through his hands and trickle over the line.

It was a similar error to the one he made in his last outing, against Bloemfontein Celtic, which allowed the Free State side to level the game – it also enabled Henyekane to join Mabuthi Khenyeza at the top of the goal-scorers list.

Arrows’ second goal was also down to some sloppy play in the Santos defence – left back Bevan Fransch tried to get too fancy inside his own box, losing the ball to Nhlanhla Zothwane, who finished with an excellent strike from a tight angle which flew across Langeveldt and into the far corner.

Both side’ had efforts on goal in the opening stages of the second half – lively left winger Njabulo Manqanya shot wide for Arrows, while Santos, looking more purposeful, had efforts on goal through Fransch and Romano Scott.

This pattern continued as Zothwane looked to try and add to his tally, testing Langeveldt with a 53rd minute shot, while for David Bright’s team, Craig Bianchi and Bongi Macala both blazed efforts over the bar.

In the 75th minute Arrows defender Siyanda Zwane showed some great skill to latch onto a Santos clearance from Musa Otieno before firing in a scorching 30-yard grass-cutter – Langeveldt again fumbled the ball, and was fortunate it did not fall to an Arrows player.

Zwane was however sent off for a second bookable offence just before the end of the game.

The People’s Team found some hope when they pulled a goal back with seven minutes to go.

The goal originated from a free kick and saw Romano Scott lobbing the ball in the direction of Mogogi Gabonamong, who launched himself at the ball to header into the net.

Hopes of a comeback for the Cape side were soon however crushed as Henyekane swept home his second goal in the 90th minute after a pass from Kagisho Dikgacoi.

W Arendse
T Arendse
Chapman (Van Beulen 90′)

Start typing and press Enter to search