A solid second half performance saw us fight back from 2-0 down at half time and secure an important away point tonight against Bidvest Wits.

In a game of two halves it was The Clever Boys who took the lead in the first half, a half that they dominated. In the 13th minute they were awarded a penalty as the ball was played in the box, striking Divine Lunga’s arm as he was going down after a defensive play.

Although we appealed the decision, referee Abongile Tom waved us away as he awarded a penalty for a hand ball. Simon Murray stepped up to the mark and converted for the home side.

This put us on the back foot and we struggled against some clever play from Wits who kept us on the back foot with Murray pushing up and creating gaps for Deon Hotto and Gift Motupa. This game plan payed off for them just 13 minutes later as Motupa slotted a cross from Hotto.

We almost managed to pull one back just before the break as we were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, but the attempt from Seth Parusnath went wide of the mark.

Clinton Larsen decided on making a substitution from the change room, bringing Wayde Jooste on for Siboniso Conco. He had some impact plays from the first minute and the dominance of the game began to swing in our favour.

Just two minutes into the stanza we pulled our first goal back as debutant Seth Parusnath found the back of the net after a great assist from Lerato Lamola.

Confidence on the field climbed and we began meeting our hosts play for play, bringing the game back to them and breaking their dominance on the field.

Jooste was then called on just over 10 minutes later, to convert a penalty after Parusnath was fouled in the box. He made no mistake, beating Keet and putting us back in contention for a win.

We went toe to toe from here on. Wits fought hard to find their mark again, and had a number of opportunities but were unable to find the back of the net, while we had a chance to take the lead.

In the last 10 minutes we missed a possible winning goal as Keet denied replacement Nduduzo Sibiya’s shot.

A great performance from the boys tonight as they showed some determination in their fight back against Wits.

We will need to put in a big performance again on the 22nd December as finish the year off with a KZN derby against AmaZulu FC at King Zwelithini Stadium.

Start typing and press Enter to search